The International Home + Housewares Show (IHHS) and the International Housewares Association (IHA), the global sponsors and organizers of the IHA Global Innovation Awards (gia) program, revealed the 2017 gia Global Honorees for Retail Excellence.
The Global Honorees are:
- Potten & Pannen – Staněk KitchenAid Concept Store & Gourmet Academy, Czech Republic, pictured
- The Loft Co. Ltd. , Japan
- Green with Envy , New Zealand
- Rustan’s Department Store, Philippines
- Borough Kitchen, United Kingdom
The global gia jury, consisting of four retail/visual merchandising experts and seven editors and publishers of co-sponsoring housewares trade publications from around the world, selected the gia Global Honorees from the winners previously chosen in their respective countries by the national gia sponsors.
- In addition, the Martin M. Pegler Award for Excellence in Visual Merchandising was awarded to LUC. Design of Australia.
- The gia Digital Commerce Award for Excellence in Online Retailing was awarded to Amazon.com of the USA.
Co-sponsoring the country-specific gia award programs with IHA are housewares trade publications worldwide, including The Gourmet Retailer, which sponsor national gia programs in their respective countries. This year, 28 national gia winners from 27 countries, were selected by co-sponsoring trade publications with targeted distribution in over 50 countries on five continents. In the USA, Toque Blanche in Half Moon Bay, Calif., was named the U.S. gia winner for outstanding indepdendent kitchenware retail. All winners were automatically entered in the global competition at the International Home + Housewares Show in Chicago, where the global jury selected the final gia Global Honorees.
Both gia national winners and Global Honorees are recognized and prominently featured at IHHS. A festive gia awards dinner was held at the Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel on March 18. In addition, introducing the national gia winners to visitors and exhibitors of the International Home + Housewares Show, there is a special gia display in the Hall of Global Innovation, in the Lakeside Center Lobby, and large gia winner banners span the walkway connecting the Lakeside Center to the Grand Concourse.
The gia program was created by IHA and IHHS to foster innovation and excellence in home and housewares retailing throughout the world. Since the launch of gia in 2000, there have been over 370 gia retail award winners, from 45 countries on six continents.
The competition is structured on a two-tier level, national and global, evaluating retailers within the following categories:
• Overall mission statement, vision and strategy
• Store design and layout
• Visual merchandising, displays and window displays
• Marketing, advertising and promotions
• Customer service and staff training