Sales of specialty kitchen electrics are on the increase, posting double-digit growth in the past year, according to The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service.
“Specialty items have become commonplace in recent years,” said Debra Mednick, executive director of The NPD Group’s home business. “When it comes to small kitchen appliances, specialty products offer consumers fun gift options, but also ways to enjoy something unique and special in their own homes.”
Specialty kitchen electrics include electric knives, ice cream/yogurt makers, ice shavers/sno cone makers, popcorn makers, tea makers, chocolate fountains, electric rotisseries, fondue sets, jar openers, meat grinders/mincers, pizza ovens and roaster ovens.
According to the market research firm's recent findings:
• Specialty kitchen electrics represent 5 percent of all small kitchen electric sales, and dollars have increased 10 percent compared to the 12 months ending November 2011, according to The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service, 12 months ending November 2012.
• More than half of all specialty kitchen electrics sold are purchased by consumers for themselves.
• 13 percent of specialty kitchen electric sales come from holiday purchases.
• The top-selling specialty kitchen electrics are popcorn makers, ice cream/yogurt makers, roaster ovens, and tea makers.
• Chocolate fountains, ice cream/yogurt makers, pizza ovens, meat grinders/mincers, and ice shavers/sno cone makers each experienced significant double-digit dollar growth compared to last year, according to The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service, 12 months ending November 2012.
• 19 percent of specialty kitchen electric dollar sales come from online purchases.