October is the Second Annual American Cheese Month, and cheese retailers around the country are celebrating by participating in the American Cheese Month Passport Program.
Launched in 2011 by the American Cheese Society, the Passport Program is designed to generate consumer enthusiasm for American artisan, farmstead, and specialty cheeses. Customers are invited to purchase a passport at any participating retailer for $10. The passport provides a discount ranging from 20-40 percent off a designated “cheese of the day” at each retailer from Oct. 1-31. The passport is valid at all participating retailers; the specific cheeses and discounts offered each day will vary by store. 100% of the proceeds from passport sales will benefit the nonprofit American Cheese Education Foundation, which funds educational opportunities and scholarships for cheesemakers.
Twelve retailers in two states participated in the inaugural program in 2011. In 2012, the program has more than doubled to include 30 retailers in 17 states. Passport-holders can find a full list of participating retailers on the American Cheese Month website, and they can follow the American Cheese Society’s Twitter feed for updates on participating companies and their featured cheeses throughout the month of October.
“The American Cheese Month Passport Program offers a unique opportunity for consumers to try American cheeses at reduced prices while also supporting their local economy,” says Nora Weiser, Executive Director of the American Cheese Society. “Whether you’re a cheese connoisseur or you’re new to the world of artisan cheese, you’re bound to discover new favorites from some of America’s best producers this October.”
The list of participating businesses in 2012 includes:
· Artisan Cheese Company, Sarasota, Fla.
· Artisanal Fromagerie and Bistro, New York
· Beecher’s Handmade Cheese, New York and Seattle
· The Better Cheddar, Prairie Village, Kanasa
· Brooklyn Victory Garden, Brooklyn, N.Y.
· Butcher Block Meats & Cheese, Oshkosh, Wis.
· The Calf & Kid, Seattle
· Casellula Cheese & Wine Café, New York
· Caseus Fromagerie Bistro, New Haven, Conn.
· The Cheese Cave, Red Bank, N.J.
· The Cheese Shop, Aspen, Colo.
· Cheese Louise, Richland, Wash.
· Eastern District, Brooklyn, N.Y.
· Eat More Cheese, Belfast, Maine
· Fairfield Cheese Company, Fairfield, Conn.
· Fromagination, Madison, Wis.
· Lucy’s Whey (Chelsea Market and East Hampton), New York
· Marion Street Cheese Market, Oak Park, Ill.
· Mission Cheese, San Francisco
· My Cheese Shoppe, Puyallup, Wash.
· Orrman’s Cheese Shop, Charlotte, N.C.
· Saxelby Cheesemongers, New York
· Scardello, Dallas
· Smoke House Market, Chesterfield, Mo.
· Standard Market, Westmont, Ill.
· StinkyBklyn, Brooklyn, N.Y.
· Wedge & Bottle, Phoenix, Ariz.
· Wedge – A Cheese Shop, Reno, Nev.
· Zingerman’s Creamery, Ann Arbor, Mich.
More information about the American Cheese Month Passport Program is